Oh my, this project started with such good intention.
On a gradient high from my beautiful ombre waves quilt, I went down to Joann’s and got more gradient colors! This time in pink and purple. I had it in my mind to make some of these lovely gingham quilts as inspired by Craftyblossom (I LOVE her work).
so I started with the pink fabrics, and cut it up in 5.5″ squares to start the pattern. However, when I put it on the design wall, it didn’t look right to me.
It just seemed wonky to me, like maybe the squares were too big to be a good gingham. ALSO, I was mad at myself because in a gingham pattern, the medium color is most used, and I stupidly, accidentally bought the medium color in broadcloth. ARGH. I was still going to use it, but didn’t want it to be the majority of the quilt top.
So I started playing with patterns. I love a disappearing nine patch, so I decided to take my squares and make those and playing with patterns.
Let me just say, this is where I should have stopped. Oh hindsight. But no, I wanted to be more creative, so I decided to use the nine patches to make a bow tie pattern.
I like it alright. That’s not the issue, necessarily. The real trouble came when I began quilting. I decided to use this opportunity to do my first free motion larger quilt. I’ve practiced free motion quilting quite a bit on smaller projects, so I was ready to take this on.
HOWEVER. Step 1- break 3 needles in a row. They were strong needles, too. 90/14. I finally figured out I didn’t lower my feed dogs, blah.
Step 2- Stop breaking needles, start having jankey stitching on the back of this quilt. I should have taken some pictures to demonstrate this, but suffice it to say that the stitches aren’t tight at all. I think I need to pull half of it out and just redo it.
I wish I’d stuck with the symmetrical pattern and quilted it thusly, but hey, here’s to trying new things. I’ll find my motivation to try to finish it later this week.